Berkeley students are researching sustainable supplies of energy while protecting our natural resources
The Berkeley mace is part of the faculty procession at graduation ceremonies.
Nobelist Steven Chu Ph.D. ’76 helped craft the winning bid for the Energy Biosciences Institute
Daniel E. Koshland Jr. restructured the biological sciences at Berkeley in the 1980s.
In the 1960s, the lab of Donald O. Pedersen was the first to study, produce, and test integrated circuits.
Clark Kerr (right center) was an architect of the 1960 Master Plan for Higher Education in California.
Robert Gordon Sproul (right) served as UC president from 1930–58. Here he is pictured with his wife, Ida.
John D. Rockefeller Jr. gave $1.75 million to construct International House, which opened in 1930.
"Goliath" (1960) by Hans Hofmann, who helped establish the Berkeley Art Museum.
Since 1923, California Memorial Stadium has served as the campus's most visible athletic landmark.
Nobelist Ernest O. Lawrence (second from left) created the "cyclotron" to gain insights into atomic structure.
Annie Montague Alexander's big bear specimens became the nucleus of Berkeley’s collections.
Berkeley water researchers helped transform California's dry central valleys into rich, productive land.
Benjamin Ide Wheeler's range of acquaintance ran from Cal students to five United States presidents.
Hubert Howe Bancroft’s extraordinary literary collection put the university’s library on the map.
In 1906, Elizabeth Josselyn Boalt provided $100,000 for a law building in memory of her late husband
William Randolph Hearst and his mother, Phoebe Apperson Hearst, two philanthropic titans.
A gift from Charles Franklin Doe led to the construction of the library that bears his name.
James Lick's 1875 gift funded the world's first permanently occupied mountaintop observatory.
Eugene W. Hilgard (second from left) organized the College of Agriculture.
Henry Durant served as the University of California's first president.