Honoring Berkeley’s greatest benefactors
With the same daring and high hopes that brought adventurers, farmers, miners, and merchants to the American West, the University of California’s earliest benefactors set out to create a great public university on the frontier.
Inspired by the leadership and commitment of those visionaries, generation after generation of philanthropists has come forward to help shape that dream into the most distinguished public university in the history of higher education — the University of California, Berkeley.
The Builders of Berkeley monument honors the vision, leadership, and commitment of the university’s leading benefactors since its founding in 1868. The monument, located at the heart of the campus on the Doe Library Terrace, was dedicated in 2003. To be included on its granite walls, a donor’s lifetime giving has to be valued at $1 million or more in today’s dollars.
The university adds the names of new benefactors each year, creating a living legacy and teaching future generations about the essential role that philanthropy has played in making Cal the greatest public teaching and research institution in the world.